Dogs are omnivores by nature, which means that they need a mixed diet of both meat and veggies. There are some things however that dogs should never ever eat, which I’ve tried to compile below in a list. I would also recommend you as a pet owner to download the app – APCC by ASPCA, which has alphabetic lists of both food, plants, medication and household items that are toxic for your pet. The pets covered in the app are horses, dogs, birds and cats.
As it is quite a jungle to figure out what your dog can and cannot eat I would always recommend not to give your dog people food, as you never know how he or she will react, and better stay safe than sorry. Also, if you are in doubt about what to feed your dog, contact your veterinarian and have a talk with them about what is good dog nutrition and what is not. This I would specially recommend if you are just getting your first dog, so you don’t get too confused by the jungle that is dog food, brands, ideals etc.
In this blog we will focus on the most toxic foods for dogs.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and vomiting in your dog no matter the breed or age. It is unknown what is causing the dogs to react to this, and despite them not having reacted in the past you shouldn’t keep feeding them grapes or raisins as your dog might suddenly react to them. Oh, and they might also choke on them!
2. Artifical sweeteners, specially Xylitol
Xylitol can be found in sugar free gum among other food items. Xylitol can cause your dog to have seizures, disorientation and can even cause liver failure. So don’t leave your gum packages lying around for your dog to get a hold of them.
Why would you even do that!!!
Dogs are super sensitive to the slightest bit of alcohol. Alcohol can cause vomiting and disorientation (same for humans really) but your dog need much smaller amounts in order to be effected and in severe cases it can cause your dog to go into coma, seizures and possibly die (again the same for humans….).
As in ALL kinds of onions can cause havoc on your dogs red blood cells starting with symptoms such as fatigue and possibly ending in the need for a blood transfusion.
Chocolate contains the substance Theobromine which is toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous. Chocolate can cause symptoms like vomiting, irregular heart rhythm, discomfort, seizures and even death.
6. Macademia nuts
This one I didn’t know either until I read up on it. Macademia nuts can cause rear leg weakness, fewer and tremors.
7. Prunus sp. (Plum, Cherry, Peach, Nectarine and Apricot)
The symptoms here can be anything from mild to severe vomiting and diarrhea and depend on the amount ingested, underlying health problems and dog breed.
8. Sodium chloride
Better known as salt can cause vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, disorientation, seizures and even death. Of course the symptoms depends on the amount that has been ingested, breed and underlying health problems.
Sharing your morning coffee with your dog? Please don’t as caffeine can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, tremors and even seizures. The symptoms can be anything from mild to severe depending on amount ingested and underlying health problems.
Having rhubarb in your garden might be nice for you to enjoy in a sweet pie or freshly made rhubarb jam, but don’t let your dog have a taste as rhubarb can cause vomiting, diarrhea and for some dogs even kidney failure.
If your dog has eaten any of the above you should always always ALWAYS contact your vet to get the right advice in your specific situation.
Happy Thursday to you all, and go download that app – APCC by ASPCA 😀